Musculoskeletal health and mental health are business-critical issues. After coughs and colds, more days are lost to back, neck and upper limb pain than any other cause. Stress, depression and anxiety are also a major cause of lost work days (Office for National Statistics 2016)
I offer a proactive approach that promotes people’s musculoskeletal health and well-being, enabling them to become more mindful at work.
- Prevention and reduction of musculoskeletal problems such as back and neck pain*
- Greater clarity of thinking
- Ability to choose how best to respond in any given situation, rather than just reacting habitually
- Increased resilience dealing with challenging situations.
* Two major clinical trials have demonstrated that training in the Alexander Technique leads to significant long-term reductions in back and neck pain. Individuals with chronic back pain who attended 24 one-to-one Alexander lessons had only 3 days of pain per month 1 year later, compared with 21 days for similar patients who received usual GP care alone. Participants who attended six lessons also benefited significantly, with approximately half the overall improvement seen in the 24-lesson group (Little et al, British Medical Journal 2008). A second clinical trial has demonstrated significant long-term reductions in neck pain and associated disability following 20 one-to-one Alexander lessons (MacPherson et al. Annals of Internal Medicine 2015).